Studio executives are pondering what effect yesterday’s terror arrests in London will have on the newest Oliver Stone film “World Trade Center,” which was released on Wednesday.
Paramount Pictures, which distributed the film, considered cutting back on its advertising of the film, but ultimately decided not to as they are still not sure how the public will react to the film, the Associated Press reports.
“The events of yesterday and today make this story even more poignant. But I don’t know whether it helps or hurts,” Don Harris, Paramount distribution executive, said.
“World Trade Centre” has already surpassed the studio’s expectations – it took in over $4 million on its opening day. Some box office experts say the terror arrests could boost the film’s popularity.
“‘World Trade Center’ was never designed to be escapist entertainment anyway, so I’m not sure people will shy away from it, given these real-life events. How much more relevant could this movie be right now?” Paul Dergarabedian from box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations said.
Reuters is reporting that 10 per cent of the profits made from Oliver Stone’s new film, “World Trade Center” will go to September 11 charities.
Half of the money will go to the World Trade Centre Memorial Fund, while the other five per cent will be distributed among three other 9/11 charities: Tuesday’s Children charity, The Tribute WTC Visitor Center – which was created by the September 11th Families Association and The New York Police and Fire Widows’ and Children’s Benefit Fund.
“(We would use the money) to provide important social services and support programs for thousands of 9/11 family members for as long as the needs are there,” Jonathan Barnett, chairman of the Tuesday’s Children charity, said about where the funds will be allocated.
“We are deeply appreciative of the effort to tell this story in this film, to join with us in remembering those we loved and lost, and in paying tribute to thousands of extraordinary people who responded to the city in our hour of need,” the September 11th Families Association said in a statement,
“World Trade Center” tells the story of the last two men to be pulled alive from the rubble of the World Trade Centre. It opens in theatres on Aug. 9.
New York City rescue workers will be the first to see Oliver Stone’s new film, “World Trade Center,” in special previews over the next week, the Associated Press reports.
The film is based on the true story of the last two men to be pulled out alive from the rubble of the World Trade Center on 9/11 after terrorists crashed two planes into the two buildings.
“Emotionally, it’s important that these men and women have the opportunity to see the film first, though only if they feel comfortable,” Michael Shamberg, the film’s co-producer, said.
However, a union official for the Port Authority Police Departments of New York and New Jersey warns survivors of the attacks who go see the movie may suffer post traumatic stress as a result of reliving the memories of 9/11.
The film is the second Hollywood movie to be made about the attacks. “United 93,” which was based on the plane that crashed into a field in Pennsylvania, opened earlier this year to critical acclaim, but did poorly at the box office. “World Trade Center” is scheduled to open on Aug. 9.
The preview trailer for Oliver Stone?s new 9/11 film, ?World Trade Centre,? will be shown before screenings of ?The Da Vinci Code,? which opens Friday. The movie?s producers, Stacey Sher and Michael Shamberg, have notified theatre owners in advance of the showings, according to Reuters.
The trailer for another 9/11-inspired film, ?United 93,? upset many viewers and led one New York theatre to ban it from being shown. The preview for ?World Trade Centre? is reportedly far less intense.
Stone?s film, which opens August 9, is based around the rescue of the final two people from the World Trade Centre rubble after the 2001 terrorist attacks.