Tonight’s the premiere of Pretty Little Liars, season three. FINALLY. The date has been marked on my very own Pretty Little Liars calendar since the end of season two. So to all my friends, if you continuously bug me tonight, be prepared to die because I’m obvs be sitting on the couch, wearing my I love Mr. Fitz crop top and watching the PLL marathon on ABC.
Yes, I know I have fangirl problems to the extreme but really who can blame me? Two words: Ian Harding. Here, I will give you a second to look him up… See told you he is HOT!
Ian isn’t the only reason why you should watch the premiere of PLL. Here are five more:
1) A new “A”
According to ABC Family we’ll be introduced to a new ‘A, who will use Aria’s past mistakes to taunt her. I’m a little excited to see what ‘A’ has in store for Aria especially after watching the season three promo, which shows Aria, trapped in a bathroom stall screaming for her life. My one concern is that Ezra will be caught up in this mess and I CANNOT have anything happen to him. My fangirl heart could not take that!
2) Ali’s grave is robbed? Read more…
When I was in grade two my parents couldn’t separate me from my Nick Carter T- shirts and Backstreet Boys CDs. If you walked into my room, you’d see posters of
my love Nick plastered all over my bedroom walls. I even convinced my young and delusional self that when I became of age I would be known to the world as Mrs. Carter, even if it took excessive stalking coupled with voodoo magic.
Now, even though I’m older and slightly more mature I can’t stop my old symptoms from returning when I see boy bands like The Wanted, One Direction and Big Time Rush. Girls everywhere have an undying thirst for these smooth talking, ballad-singing, handsome guys. And I’m okay with that. Here’s why:
1) It’s been too long since I’ve relished in an upbeat, though formulaic, pop song. Ever since boy bands of yore bowed gracefully off the music scene, the radio has been filled with auto-tuned dance music. While I enjoy breaking it down every once in awhile, I miss those cheesy songs that make a girl feel… well, special. The songs that make you picture Justin Timberlake holding your hand and serenading you in front of all your friends. [Tugs on collar] Or am I the only one who imagines that? Anyone?
2) Have you seen One Direction’s Harry Styles? Harry you may call me if you’re reading this. With this new wave of boy bands you can crush on any of them guilt free. Members of old boy bands aren’t exactly boys anymore! The main reason we outgrew them isn’t just because they’re old; because trust me I do have a thing for older guys. Our favorite members are now married and have children, so it’s kind of hard to crush on them when you know their wives are waiting by the stage exit.
3) I’ll gladly indulge in a little more fandom. For those of you who were too young to see the Backstreet Boy’s first concert, to know Justin Timberlake pre-movies and solo career, or to know that the first real boy band was not the Jonas Brothers, then I will tell you: you will always have a favourite boy band and compete with fans of other boy bands. I for one am still head over heels obsessed with the Backstreet Boys and I may have cried a little when I saw them last summer at their reunion concert. But they were tears of joy.
The Wanted “Glad You Came”
4) The Wanted’s single “Glad You Came” is perfect for a day at the beach with your closest friends. My favourite memory will always be me and my friends rocking out to pop songs while reading the latest J14 issue. Boy bands create a soundtrack for your youth, whether you realize it or not.
5) Boy bands just overall make me feel happy “You don’t know you’re beautiful. That’s what makes you beautiful” I mean what girl wouldn’t feel instantly happy when they hear that on the radio?
One Direction “What Makes You Beautiful”
In honour of Project X, our resident columnist Cassandra Gallo put together a top five list of the best house party movies to watch this March Break. Who knows? Maybe the movies will serve as inspiration for your own March Break bash.
Want to know what the key to becoming legendary is? It’s simple. Just throw an epic house party, one that people will talk about for months after.
For your mission to be successful, you need more than a basement with the latest Top 20 tracks playing on your iPod’s speakers. And you need more than a few of your friends gathered around discussing the latest Justin Bieber songs. To become legendary, you need an empty house, a few hundred people, and Bieber not only to be talked about at the party but to actually be there.
Okay, the standards are high but the outcome is usually sensational. Many have tried to throw a class A bash and many have failed. To those who only wish they could throw a bash like this, I invite them to take inspiration from this list of top five teen party movies, created in honour of the theatrical release of Project X.
1) Superbad (2007)
Here’s the movie that coined the name McLovin. It follows three friends (Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse) as they try to fulfill their promise to buy alcohol for a hot girl’s party. Oh, and they want to jump-start their sex life too. This movie is hilarity at it’s best, as these three friends want to end their high school career with a “bang.”
2) American Pie (1999)
Apple pie never looked the same after the release of this teen favourite. It follows a group of guys who make a pact to get laid by their senior prom… specifically at Stifler’s after-party. This movie has it all; beautiful girls, raunchy humor, and an unforgettable post prom party. It wouldn’t hurt to catch up on all the American Pie films (even the bad ones) in preparation for their upcoming reunion.
3) Can’t Hardly Wait (1998)
There’s one thing we party goers have learnt through the years … parties are messy! Either your so called best friend hooks up with your ex-boyfriend or you want to finally land a special night with your longtime crush. This movie gives us faith that parties make the unexpected possible. The film follows different students from separate cliques as they try and make the seemingly impossible possible.
4) House Party (1990)
Sneaking out, getting arrested, and dancing with hot girls/guys is the typical formula to follow when you decide to attend any rager — at least it is in the movie world. House Party is just the type of movie to prove you can get away with these things. When Peter (Christopher Martin) announces that his parents are going out of town and that he’s having a party, his house becomes the destination of the year. No matter what life throws at them the characters in this movie strive to make it to this party. RSVP at the door.
5) Risky Business (1984)
Dancing in your underwear alone at home is something we all secretly do
(just me?) and Tom Cruise made it socially acceptable. In the movie Risky Business, Joel Goodsen miraculously throws a house party co-hosted with a prostitute, all while conducting his college interview. Win!
When your party is over and morning light starts to trickle through your window you can begin to nurse that hangover. Wait, who are we kidding? Still craving more? Here are three runner-up movies that nearly made the cut: Animal House (the classic!), Sixteen Candles, Weird Science.