Naomi Campbell still has, and will not, learn her lesson when it comes to public outbursts. ABC News reports that the supermodel got physical with one of their cameramen. A reporter merely asked her about allegations that former Liberian President Taylor gave her a blood diamond in 1997, and she lashed out.
She managed to stay poised in front of the camera – she initially seems very calm in the video; telling the reporter, “ I didn’t receive a diamond and I’m not going to speak about that.”
Then things got nasty. The reporter continued to ask the 39-year-old British supermodel about her refusal to cooperate with Taylor’s international trial for crimes against humanity. Campbell then walked out of the interview, smashed the camera to the ground and allegedly threw a punch at the cameraman.
Campbell’s involvement with Taylor was first pointed out by actress Mia Farrow, who was present in 1997 when Taylor gave Campbell a gift; the huge, uncut diamond ring.
Naomi Campbell issued an apology to the police officers she assaulted at Heathrow Airport in April, but the supermodel refuses to say sorry to British Airways, reports The Canadian Press.
In an interview with Sky News this past weekend, Campbell accuses the airline of racism and therefore will not issue an apology.
“I was called a racial name on that flight,” Campbell said, adding that her violent behaviour “was part of my reaction.”. Campbell would not disclose who called her the name but said it was not a passenger.
Campbell was sentenced Friday to 200 hours community services and fined $4,600 after pleading guilty to kicking, spitting and swearing at the police officers about the British Airways plane.
Naomi Campbell avoided a maximum six-month jail term for assaulting two police officers, reports E! News.
Instead, the supermodel was sentenced to 200 hours of community service for the air-rage ruckus, fined $4,600 and ordered to pay $400 to each of the police officers she attacked and $300 to the captain of the flight.
Back in April, Campbell became upset with crew members of a British Airway flight when one of her bags apparently went missing at London’s Heathrow Airport. After airport police attempted to restore order, Campbell spat on one officer and was escorted off the aircraft and taken into custody.
“She feels what happened was regrettable and she has come to court today to put her side of the story,” said Campbell’s rep Alan Edwards.
Naomi Campbell was MIA for her court appearance today regarding charges of assault alleged against her, E! Online reports.
Campbell was supposed to appear in Manhattan Criminal Court to face the second-degree assault charges, which were brought against her by her ex-maid, Ana Scolavino. Scolavino alleges Campbell hit her with a cell phone.
The judge in the case originally issued a warrant for Campbell’s arrest when she didn’t show up, but later decided to cancel it after Campbell’s lawyer said the prosecution was aware that the supermodel would not be there, and that they would not be seeking out her arrest.
Campbell’s lawyer did not give a real reason as to why Campbell was absent, only saying it was for professional reasons.
The judge said Campbell must attend the next court date, to which her lawyer said another court date may not be necessary as Campbell was considering a plea bargain with the prosecution.
The next hearing is set for Nov. 15.
Former supermodel Naomi Campbell was arrested earlier this month for allegedly disturbing the peace outside an ex-boyfriend’s house.
Britain’s The Sun reports that Campbell, 36, was trying to recover some belongings early in the morning on July 10. Metropolitan Police were called to the scene after receiving “reports of a woman causing a disturbance.” They confirmed a 36-year-old woman was arrested.
Campbell was released without charges after being held for several hours, and police recovered the belongings. According to the authorities, “No further action will be taken.”
It’s the latest in a growing history of ill-tempered outbursts by Campbell. She has been sued and charged by multiple former assistants and maids who claim they were physically assaulted by the model.
If you thought that Suri Cruise was in the headlines too much, she seems to have nothing on Supermodel Naomi Campbell.
Campbell has been sued again by an employee. Amanda Brack filed court papers yesterday, suing Campbell for assault, battery, false imprisonment and infliction of emotional distress.
According to court papers, the abuse began a mere month after Brack was hired in February of last year.
Brack claims she was physically abused and suffered verbal and emotional attacks, before she quit last July when Campbell made Brack believe she thought she was stealing from the Supermodel.
It is not known how much she is seeking for damages.
Just after andPOP reported that Naomi Campbell is due in court Tuesday for a hearing on a second-degree assault charge, the supermodel has been hit with another claim of violent behaviour.
Like the first case, the new civil lawsuit comes from a former maid and claims Campbell struck her in the head, according to Reuters.
The suit is being brought by Gaby Gibson, who told the New York Post in April that her celebrity employer hit her in the back of the head when she couldn’t find a pair of black designer jeans.
“She said it was to teach me a lesson,” Gibson told the paper.
In her suit, which is seeking unspecified damages, Gibson accuses Campbell of personal injury, employment discrimination, civil assault and battery.
In the criminal case, Campbell has pleaded not guilty to charges that she struck housekeeper Ana Scolavino with a cell phone. If convicted, Campbell faces up to seven years in prison.
The model previously assaulted an assistant, Georgina Galanis, with a telephone in 1998. In 2000, she pleaded guilty to the charge in a Toronto court in exchange for a sentence of expressing remorse, attending anger management classes, and paying Galanis an undisclosed sum of cash.