By Kelly O’Brien
Things are not only rocky for Finn and Rachel, but for Kurt and Blaine, Santana and Brittany, Mr. Schuester and Emma and, and… okay that’s it.
Here’s what you need to know from last night’s episode, “Break Up.”
New York is not for Finn — Finn is back and Rachel is ready to do whatever it takes to keep him in New York. But after a night at Callbacks (a bar where college parties are more karaoke than kegs) and a taste of Rachel’s life at NYADA, he realizes that it’s not the place for him. He heads back to McKinley to “find himself,” which I think is a good move. Nobody is more welcoming of confused teenagers than Mr. Schue and the glee club.
Will is going to Washington — Mr. Schuester is ecstatic to learn that he’ll be heading to Washington to join the Blue Ribbon Panel. Emma, however, doesn’t want to tag along. She loves her job at McKinley and doesn’t want to leave it to follow Will to Washington. I think it’s totally understandable that she refuses to leave, and Will shouldn’t expect her to. After all, if she goes with him who’s going to make sure the glee club stays afloat?
Nobody wants to get Left Behind — Read more…
By Kelly O’Brien
This week, Brittany and Blaine battle it out for Student Body President and Sarah Jessica Parker guest stars as Kurt’s boss at Vogue, Isabelle Klempt.
Here’s what you need to know from last night’s episode, “Makeover”:
1. Blaine’s running for office — Blaine decides to challenge Brittany for her spot as McKinley High’s student body president and chooses Sam AKA Trouty Mouth as his running mate. As soon as Blaine strips off his bow tie and Sam just strips (allowing a brief moment for everyone to appreciate those abs), it was clear that they had the election in the bag.
2. Kurt’s going Vogue — After being out of Ohio for what seems like two minutes, Kurt lands an internship at Vogue.com under editor Isabelle Klempt, played by Ms. New Yorker herself, Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP and NYC go hand in hand, so who better to take Kurt under her wing and show him the ropes? I think this job is perfect for Kurt. Anyone who can rock a hippo brooch belongs at Vogue.
3. Mr. Schuester has a new dream — With a national championship under his belt, Mr. Schuester decides he would make a great addition to the Blue Ribbon Government Panel to put arts back into schools. It would be amazing to give other schools a shot at belting out Journey or Florence, but this job requires him to leave McKinley and I do NOT approve. Glee without Schuester is like Rachel without her voice — it’s just not right.
4. Blaine and Kurt are drifting — Read more…
This week, the McKinley kids celebrate Britney Spears for the second time, while Rachel continues struggling to prove herself to Cassandra July at NYADA.
Here’s what you need to know from last night’s episode, “Britney 2.0.”
1. It’s Britney week at McKinley — Brittany is in a funk, so the glee kids decide to inspire her by devoting another week to her idol Britney Spears. Unfortunately, the only thing their tribute inspires is a hilarious Britney-esque meltdown from Brittany, which she stages as a way to pay tribute to the pop princess. The whole thing leaves me feeling sorry for Brittany, who is clearly lost without Santana.
2. Rachel’s not sexy — After her bitch of a dance instructor Cassandra lets her know she has zero sex appeal, Rachel attempts to prove her wrong with a performance of the classic “Oops I Did it Again.” She holds her own, but when it comes to sexy, nobody beats Britney Spears in her iconic red jumpsuit.
3. Marley’s crushing on the other Puckerman — The newest glee star and daughter of the lunch lady finds herself falling for McKinley’s newest hottie, Jake Puckerman. All the girls want a piece of him, including me (everyone loves a bad boy, right?). He shows a softer side by sticking up for her mom in the cafeteria, but she later finds out he’s dating another girl. Jake may be playing the field right now, but the chemistry between these two is undeniable.
4. Jake is officially a gleek — Read more…
While McKinley’s glee club holds auditions to replace all the graduated singers, Rachel deals with a bitchy instructor at NYC, played by the ever-fabulous Kate Hudson.
Here’s what you need to know from last night’s episode, “The New Rachel.”
1. Glee Club is now cool: Since New Directions won the championship last year, all the students that previously mocked them and cruelly threw red slushies in in their faces basically want to be buddy buddy because hey, glee club is now for winners. Unfortunately, now that the ND’s members are hip enough to hang with the Cheerios, they’re also developing major attitude issues. Luckily the Cheerios realize the glee club is too
losery cool for them and social order is restored.
2. Everyone wants to be the new Rachel: Now that Rachel’s left to get her ass kicked in NYC, everyone wants to take her place as the lead singer. The previously shy Tina is now a major diva and wants to be lead vocalist in glee. Unfortunately she’s got some competition in cross dresser Wade and I’m predicting a fierce diva battle. There are too many egos in this group.
3. We have two new stars: Puck’s younger half-brother is our new badboy, immediately causing trouble by lashing out at his audition. He’s going to be our new eye candy while Marley is our new sweetheart. She’s our relatable everyday girl who doesn’t have a lot of money but has a killer voice. Her mom secretly works in the cafeteria and all the students make fun of her. Marley grapples with familial insecurities, which we can all relate too.
4. Rachel’s no longer the lead cookie: Read more…
Glee is my secret guilty pleasure. From the show’s addictive storylines to the cast’s ever-so-catchy covers, I just have to keep tuning into the show over and over again to see what happens next.
So in anticipation of the show’s fourth season (which begins on Sept. 13), a mash-up sung by the cast features the likes of Britney Spears and Justin Bieber!!
Singing Spears’ ‘Boys’ and Bieber’s ‘Boyfriend’ , the song will surely be a hit with the ladies as heartthrobs Darren Criss and Kevin McHale can be heard singing and evidently, melting all of our hearts.
We all knew attention-whore Rachel would end up lost when she started studying at NYC’s Nyada. That’s what happens to big fish in little ponds — once they move to the ocean there’s way more competition. I was expecting the Fame-esque storyline from Glee and the promo confirms they’re going in this direction, but the new season looks 10 times better than I thought it would be because Kate freaking Hudson plays a witch of a Dance 101 instructor at the academy.
While the freshman dance in leotards around her, she confidently struts across the classroom pointing out their flaws and encouraging them to embrace body dysmorphia. It looks like she’s not a fan of her students, especially Rachel, who she insists has a stuck up attitude.
It’s true though! Rachel is pretty stuck up and if there’s one thing I want from her this season, it’s to be torn apart and built back up again as a less annoying prototype of herself.
Watch the promo for season 4 here:
With September around the corner, this means a bunch of new sitcoms will be making their way into Primetime television. One of these shows are none other than Glee producer Ryan Murphy’s ’The New Normal’, which is set to premiere on September 11.
The new comedic series features gay couple David (Justin Bartha) and Bryan (Andrew Rannells) who are hoping to start a family through a surrogate, single mother Goldie (Georgia King). Also starring on the show, is Ellen Barkin as Goldie’s bigoted grandmother Jane, Bebe Woods as Goldie’s bright and precocious daughter Shania and NeNe Leakes as Bryan’s sassy assistant Rocky.
An extended trailer for the show released just yesterday, and it’s already proving to show a lot of potential for laughs and even some tears. Personally, my favourite line in the trailer is when Justin Bartha’s character tells his partner, “You know you can’t return a baby to Barney’s.”
What do you think of this upcoming series? The concept here sounds quite similar to the hilarious Modern Family, but it isn’t fair to make comparisons before giving this show a shot first!
Even though I’ve stopped watching Glee (shh… I read the recaps), I do love Darren Criss, his classy style and of course, their covers in general.
Apparently, they’ve been covering so much more music that they’ve actually had to cut some musical numbers out of the episodes. Showrunner Ryan Murphy has thankfully been uploading some deleted scenes so we don’t have to wait until the DVDs drop to watch them all.
In this clip, The Warblers cover The Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” without Criss’ Blaine. It’s a pretty good number but too bad the new Warbler frontman Sebastian had to ruin it all at the end. The fancy haircut gets all sassy which prompts the Queen of Sass, Santana to throw it right back.
Just wait until the very end to see why I’m not going to be able to stop associating Glee’s Sebastian with the Little Mermaid’s Prince Eric.
In the world of celebrity news, there’s no shortage of hits and misses. This week, Justin Bieber speeds down the highway in his chromed-out car, and Kourtney Kardashian has another baby.
MISS: Evan Rachel Wood filmed getting her nose pierce
Maybe it’s because I’m a bit squeamish when it comes to stuff like this, but I didn’t appreciate watching Evan Rachel Wood get her nose pierced. I don’t understand why everyone has to document every little thing they do (omgz, I’m eating a sammich!!). In particular, a nose piercing is something I didn’t really want to see come up on my dashboard, even if it’s a famous person.
HIT: Kourtney Kardashian has a little girl
To continue with knowing too much about people I don’t care about, Kourtney Kardashian had another baby! I know, it’s a Kardashian, but BABY! Babies are cute, adorable and simply cannot be ignored. Named Penelope Scotland Disick, I’m sure she will be just as adorable as her older brother Mason. Now I’m trying to imagine what Aunt Kim’s boyfriend, Kanye West, will be getting little Penelope. I’m thinking designer baby clothes made of pure gold.
MISS: Justin Bieber put other people in danger by speeding on the highway Read more…
Our favourite celebrities are usually so glammed up in dramatic costumes and makeup that it’s hard to imagine what they looked like as dimple-cheeked kids. From their perspective, a home video surfacing on YouTube must be like when a proud parent pulls out an embarrassing photo of your first successful potty training lesson to scare your new date (wait, that doesn’t happen to everyone?).
Luckily, these videos aren’t that embarrassing. In fact, they’re pretty adorable.
Without the heavy liquid eyeliner, Kreayshawn is barely recognizable. She posted this video on YouTube a couple days ago with the comment: “I decided to put some old footage of me up so you guys can see a little of how I grew up and some things that inspired me to be who I am today. It is pretty damn hilarious. I have always been a free spirt and I hope this video inspires young girls too. You can do anything you wanna do.”
When I was seven years old I could play “Hot Cross Buns” on the piano but here’s Lady Gaga basically being a little piano prodigy. The video, which was shot in 1993, is short, sweet and foreshadows what was to come… well, except for her daring sense of fashion. Who knew this headband-wearing pianist would later wear a smelly meat dress on the red carpet?
Katy Perry Read more…
By Melissa Novacaska
It was only the season finale, but last night’s Glee felt more like the end of an era, which inevitably brought on the waterworks. All the senior members of glee graduated and gabbed about their future plans by the lockers.
Quinn, and Mike are heading to college, Mercedes is moving to California where she’ll be a background singer and Santana will pursue her dreams in NYC. We’re not sure what Puck and Kurt will do yet. Kurt sadly doesn’t make NYADA and Puck, well, he’s a graduate so that’s something. But what struck a chord for most viewers (trust me I checked Twitter) was the final few minutes of this tearful episode, better known as Rachel and Finn’s surprising breakup.
With all the laughter, tears, twists and turns, here’s what I learned from last night’s episode “Goodbye.”
1) Rachel and Finn are over, or are they really? Rachel receives her acceptance to NYADA (told you!) but Kurt doesn’t get in, and Finn also receives a blunt rejection letter from James Lipton’s Actor’s Studio Drama School. This has got to be one of the biggest upsets, or at least for Kurt! I had a feeling Finn wouldn’t make it — not that he isn’t talented — but it just seems more natural for Ryan Murphy to create some drama for Finn and Rachel. However, breaking up the pair wasn’t what anyone had in mind, or at least I wasn’t on that bandwagon. Read more…
By Melissa Novacaska
Tension flares in the first episode of last night’s two hour Glee, as Nationals and graduation quickly approach. Tina feels stuck in the shadows behind Rachel’s success, Puck realizes his future is at a standstill and Beiste has the courage to leave her abusive husband for good. But of course, Rachel’s attempt to gain a second audition with Mme. Tibideaux for NYADA is still in effect. Are fourteen phone messages and a muffin basket a little too persistant?
Anxious is the best word to describe the second hour, which was directly focused on the glee club’s trip to Chicago for Nationals and the return of Lindsay Lohan.(At least she performed slightly better than her latest stint on SNL.)
Without further ado, here’s what I learned from last night’s back-to-back episodes, “Props” and “Nationals.”
1) Tina’s jealousy over Rachel’s success and glory has reached its final peak. After being shut down for a solo during this year’s Nationals, Tina backlashes and shares her frustration with her fellow gleeks. Being in charge of the club’s costume design doesn’t seem to have any perks. In a “Freaky Friday” twist, the goth morphs into a retro version of Rachel and vice versa, after falling into a fountain. The rest of the gleeks have swapped bodies too, with Finn being Kurt, Puck as Blaine and Sue even switching bodies with Mr. Schuester (definitely didn’t need to see him in a red tracksuit.) In her new body, Tina err Rachel was able to shine on her own, singing Céline Dion’s Because You Loved Me (she’s got the pipes,) and she also realized how she could help the real Rachel get into NYADA. Oh and both girls got to sing a duet of What a Feeling, as Tina hoped! Read more…
While menswear trends rarely change, it’s surprising how difficult dressing up can be. The wrong cut or fit will make a look sloppy. Luckily, it’s all about the basics for men. Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure you’re looking just as sharp as your date.
Buy a suit
If the dress code allows it, ditch the tux and opt for a suit. While the tux is the go-to for formal occasions, a suit’s versatility will make the investment worthwhile. By buying a suit in a neutral colour (such as black, gray or a deep navy), you can wear it to multiple occasions, such as your cousin’s wedding, your first big job interview, etc.
Make sure your suit fits
There’s nothing worse than seeing a young man in a ill-fitting suit. A suit is all about proportions, and when it fits, it should make you look taller and leaner, not like you’re swimming in fabric. A great suit jacket should fit close to the body when buttoned up. If you feel like moving will cause the seams to split, then it’s too tight. If you feel like you can play basketball in it, it’s too big.
Also, keep the shoulders in check. A suit jacket’s shoulder pads should hit your shoulders, not beyond. Make sure the jacket’s length works for you. The sleeves end where your wrist meets the base of your thumb and the bottom of your jacket meets your knuckles. Look at red carpet photos of celebrities that have builds similar to yours. Study them and see how the widths of their lapels and ties work with their size. Last, go for slim pants (not skinny) that are hemmed to prevent fabric pooling around your shoes.
Avoid square-toed shoes
Don’t ruin all the hard work you put in finding a suit that fits with square-toed shoes. These shoes ruin the lean, slender silhouette a great suit creates. Opt for a shoe that tapers off more gently at the toe.
FOR THE MORE ADVENTUROUS…
If you feel you can afford to make this investment, try a shawl collar tuxedo or dinner jacket. The look is classy and will keep you from looking like everyone else.
Inspiration: Drake at the Grammys
If you’re a Doctor Who fan, then you know bow ties are cool. Keep it classic with the black bow tie, or try out some patterned ones. Don’t buy a clip on. Man up and find a YouTube tutorial and learn how to tie one.
Inspiration: Ryan Gosling at the Cannes Film Festival premiere for Drive, 2011.
Patterned shirts Read more…
In the world of celebrity news, there’s no shortage of hits and misses. This week, Justin Bieber graduates high school to make his mama proud, and John Travolta gets sued for touching people in naughty places.
HIT: The Biebs graduates high school
While he told the The Telegraph he’s not interested in reading and writing, Bieber finished high school for his mom. The Biebs continues to make his mama proud as he plans to release his next single, “Turn to You,” on Friday just in time for the Mother’s Day weekend. He said, via twitter, that all proceeds will go toward single moms. Queue the “awwww…” track here.
MISS: Amber Riley leaving Glee
I don’t even like Glee, but I’ll be sad to see Riley go. Aside from Chris Colfer, Darren Criss (AVPM fan 4ever) and Riley, I would really love to punch every character on the show in the face. Riley’s covers are one of Glee’s very few redeeming factors. No one can pull of an Adele cover like she can.
HIT: Brad Pitt is the new face of Chanel No. 5?! Read more…
By Melissa Novacaska
Prom at McKinley High never fails to surprise its attendees, with this year’s being no exception. Quinn reveals her ability to stand and take a few steps, Becky’s attitude ranges from a jealous schoolgirl to a horny cheerleader, and Rachel becomes every girl’s dream (nah, probably not) prom queen!
With all the fuss, commotion and apologies, here’s what I learned on last night’s dinosaur –themed prom… a.k.a. “Prom-asaurus.”
1) Brittany’s duties as senior-class president may have gone too far with this dinosaur-themed prom. She may not be the brightest tool in the shed, but this has got to be one of the most random ideas she’s ever come up with.
Rejecting themes like Castle in the Clouds (tacky) or Stairway to Heaven (even tackier) because it would be too dangerous to put castles on top of clouds, or illegal to allow students in wheelchairs to enter heaven, are all ridiculous reasons in support of her dinosaur-theme. She even banned poor Blaine from wearing hair gel to the event, only to discover he does indeed need the product (that mop is not going to cut it). I understand she’s supposed to be a dumb blond, but sometimes Brittany can be a little too much for my liking.
2) Prom may not be for everyone, and by everyone I mean a quarter of the Glee Club plus Becky. After feeling excluded and unsatisfied with the current situation, Rachel, Kurt, Blaine, Puck and Becky decide to throw an anti-prom. But with its lame atmosphere and Finn coming to rescue Rachel, their plans don’t work out. All of them end up at the real party, or shall I saw McKinley’s gymnasium?
3) Becky is heartbroken over not being nominated for prom queen and chooses to lash out at people and even irrationally slashes any xylophones she can get her hands on. Her attitude changes during anti-prom, becoming sassy and insisting on playing strip poker, specifically with Puck. This girl is all set with condoms too (slow down there’s no rush). After the rest of the gleeks head to prom, Puck stays back and makes Becky his prom queen (that’s adorable), and they stroll arm in arm with cardboard board crowns into McKinley. Heck, this girl even gave Puck his chance to finally spike Coach Sylvester’s punch! Read more…
Directioners!! Get ready!
In the upcoming Glee episode titled “Promasaurus”, the cast will be covering One Direction’s hit single “What Makes You Beautiful.”
Personally, I enjoy One Direction’s version a lot more but I guess Glee does an OK job at covering it.
But nothing can beat the original.
Now if you wanted a REALLY good cover of the song, listen to Boyce Avenue. Here, they make a slow and romantic version of the song.
In the world of celebrity news, there’s no shortage of hits and misses. This week, ScarJo gets a star on the Walk of Fame and Courtney Stodden releases a new single (ick).
HIT: The Wanted’s “Chasing the Sun” will be the title track in Ice Age 4
While we’re not diehards for Ice Age 4: Continental Drift, we do love The Wanted here at andPOP. The band’s single “Chasing the Sun” will be the title track for the new movie and the news started trending on Twitter on Thursday afternoon.
MISS: Glee’s Amber Riley collapses on Red Carpet
Heather Morris, Jenna Ushkowitz and Amber Riley were on the red carpet for a screening of their Fox show Glee, and while giving interviews Riley collapsed. She wrote on Twitter: “Hey guys, I’m okay I got a little dizzy from all the photog flashes! You’d think I’s be used to it by now, still a red carpet amateur I guess. Gonna get checked out but I feel fine. Thank you for all the concern and well wishes,” She also wrote: “I’d also like to thank the photographers for being do professional and not taking photos of me on the ground. I truly truly appreciate it. Could have been super embarrassing.” We’re glad she’s okay!
HIT: Scarlett Johansson gets a star on the Walk of Fame
Johansson may only be 27 years old, but there’s no doubt she’s deserving of such an honor as a star on the Walk of Fame. The Avengers star has won a Tony award, received countless nominations for her film work and has even been Woody Allen’s muse. From indie flicks, the stage and even to big budget summer spectacles, Johansson can do it all.
MISS: Courtney Stodden releases a “music” single Read more…
By Melissa Novacaska
Between Rachel and Kurt’s NYADA audition, the truth behind Beiste’s shiner and Puck’s love/hate relationship with his future (that’s gone on for too long), this week’s episode was a whirlwind of emotions. It’s about time more “real” drama unfolded at McKinley High and sh**t finally got resolved — or did it? Oh and did I mention Whoopi Goldberg made an appearance and NeNe Leakes from The Real Housewives of Atlanta returned. You’ve got to appreciate someone who can challenge Sue with insults.
Here’s what I gasped about from last night’s episode, “Choke.” Oh, and please keep your tears for the end.
1) Nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors. After Coach Beiste is spotted with a black eye and Santana suggests she was beaten by her husband, Coach Roz (Leakes) along with Sue, take matters into their own hands. They make the female Gleeks sing a song about female empowerment as an apology to Beiste.
Their first attempt with Chicago’s “Cell Block Tango” was not a hit, but Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out” was a win. It was shocking to hear Beiste speak the truth and admit how she didn’t get punched working out, but indeed by her husband. What made me even more emotional was how she really never left him, since she feels he’s the only man who’ll ever “love” her. I’m sure there’s someone out there for this physically and mentally strong meaningful woman.
2) Rachel choked! She actually messed up her audition for NYADA. She’s been ready her whole life (or so we thought) and if “Don’t Rain on My Parade” is “her” song, how could she have screwed up? Was it the stress, nerves or was she so focused on preparing Kurt for his audition (I think she tried psyching him out), she had little time to prepare? If she’s been ready for this chance for years, it should have been a piece of cake. Maybe it was the fear of being judged by the stern NYADA dean, Carmen Tibideaux (Goldberg) that set her up for disaster. I really do feel for Rachel, I mean this audition would have pretty much set her future in high gear, and now it will be hard to see what’ll happen next. Maybe she’ll get another chance… third time’s the charm isn’t it? Plus she tends to have a horseshoe up her butt so I’m sure it’ll be okay. Read more…
Not everyone was happy after the White House Correspondents’ dinner, after Obama made a series of jokes that — gasp! — weren’t PG!! The president turned into a comedian, joking about drunk texting, the cast of Glee and Kim Kardashian.
On Eating Pitbulls
Obama adressed the outrage over the fact that he ate dog meat as a child.
“What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull?” Obama asked. “A pitbull is delicious.”
On Kim Kardashian
At the beginning of his speech, while he was still offstage, Obama said: “Seriously, guys, what am I doing here? I’m the president of the United States, and I’m opening for Jimmy Kimmel?…Why am I telling knock-knock jokes to Kim Kardashian? What is she famous for, anyway?” Then he promptly started his speech so he wouldn’t keep the cast of Glee waiting.
Watch the full speech here:
By Melissa Novacaska
In one of her odd, yet deep pieces of advice (and there have been quite a few), Ms. Pillsbury compares the loss of an icon coinciding with the ending of high school, to the disappearance of one’s childhood. This prompts Mr. Schuester’s Glee club to do a tribute to the late Whitney Houston and to connect her songs to their final days at McKinley High. It was a nice gesture, but I felt the diva’s songs really only reflected the club’s sex life, unless I interpreted it wrong!
We finally heard more about the Schuester/Pillsbury’s wedding (geez I feel like they’ve been engaged for ages), while Kurt and Blaine’s relationship is put to the test, when a fellow NYC wannabe who happens to be an overly rambunctious and a cheesy texter enters Kurt’s life. I was surprised the heat between Rachel and Santana simmered down, but the temperature keeps rising for Quinn and the dreads boy… sorry Jesus. Is there a time when this girl isn’t causing orgasms?
If you’re asking “How Will I Know” the five things Melissa learned on last night’s episode “Dance With Somebody,” take a look below.
1) Mr. Schuester is so eager to move up the date of his wedding to Ms. Pillsbury, he hires the one and only wedding planner available, Mr. Lavender. But his actions backfire and Schuester resorts to a campground venue instead, before coming to his senses and realizing the Glee kids will make time for the wedding, no matter when it is. Geez Will, have you forgotten how OCD your fiancé is to dirt… I don’t think a campground will make it any better.
2) The chemistry between Quinn and Joe a.k.a “Mr. Chastity” increases with each round of physiotherapy. Is stretching a person’s leg the newest way to get turned on? Not sure if they want to become a couple yet, but one thing is definite… they’d both rather not lose the one thing they care about most — their virginity. But how many times must Quinn be reminded she’s already lost that package a while ago! Read more…