Although Katy Perry has dyed her hair MANY times, in a recent interview with UK’s Heat magazine, she cautioned fans to avoid dyeing their hair crazy rainbow colours unless they get help from a professional “I would not advise people to do that to their hair, unless they were using a professional. I had to slowly, slowly go from black to pink, which was my first crazy color. Or my hair would have fallen out. But you can always wear a wig.” Katy admitted. Wise words.
Keeping her disclaimer in mind, here are five fantastic Katy-inspired summer shades that are right in style this summer.
1. Purple — My absolute fave hair colour of Katy’s has to be purple, which she’s currently rocking. She debuted the shade at Coachella and while the colour is a bold statement, she kept her cut simple to balance it out.
This colour was modeled by Katy in 2011 at the Smuf premiere. The Lucille Ball-shade emphasized her 1950s retro style. Damn does any color not look good on her?!
3. Pink Bob Read more…
This week’s episode of Pretty Little Liars includes many visits from old and new characters. Sadly, Ezra never makes an appearance (this girl is majorly crushing on him) but hey, there’s always next week.
Here are all the characters you missed on this week’s episode, “Birds of a Feather.”
1) Jason is back — My second favourite heartthrob, Jason, comes back to Rosewood and has a very public spat with Victoria Hastings concerning her defending Garrett. He begins to post signs all around Rosewood offering a $50,000 cash prize to anyone who can return Ali’s body. At the end of the episode, Jason is seen writing a $50,000 cheque to someone! Could this mean they found Ali’s body?!
2) Caleb and Hanna break up — After what seems like a never-ending battle between Caleb and Hanna over why Hanna must visit Mona, Caleb dumps her. This is pretty upsetting because they were super cute together. But just like every couple on the show, they’ll probably get back together eventually. However, I predict Hanna will have a steamy hook-up with Wren before she gets back together with Caleb. And I will NOT be able to handle that since I’m a diehard Spencer and Wren fan!
3) Melissa is the black sawn — Read more…
With each new episode of PLL you can always expect a little mystery with a hint of creepy but this week episode took the definition of creepy to a whole other level.
Here are five things I learned on last night’s episode, “Kingdom of the Blind”
Lucas goes from nerdy to shady — The Rosewood halls have been looking a lot shadier these past few episodes and I think the reason may be Lucas. Not only has he been sporting the more rugged look instead of his perfect preppy style but he’s also been participating in behaviours that are a little less Lucas and a little more “A.” Not only has Lucas been secretly visiting Mona but he’s also threatened Caleb in a sketchy “A” way; which makes me wonder can Lucas be the new “A?” Wow, Hanna sure use to run with an interesting crowd. Are all of her old friends evil?
Melissa has baby drama — So not only do we find out in this episode that Melissa lost her baby but we also find out that the girls think the baby could be Garrett’s! This explains why Veronica Hastings is now taking on Garrett’s case but this still doesn’t explain what happened to Melissa’s baby. This is something both Veronica and Spencer can’t explain and I think it’s time for a moment of truth. Come on Melissa spill what you know!
Ezra helps Ella — Read more…
After being a little disappointed by the season premiere, I’m happy to report this week’s episode was KILLER!
Here are five things I learned:
1) Meredith is back – Just when the girls thought their past could no longer haunt them Aria gets a pleasant surprise. Her father’s ex mistress is applying for a teacher’s position at Aria’s school. Can you say awkward?! Now that Byron is divorced, could they rekindle their relationship? I mean, Meredith did say she and Byron were going to go out for lunch.
2) Little pieces of Alli’s grave are being distributed among the girls — First, Emily gets a necklace made out of what appears to be of Alli’s teeth… YUCK! And then Aria finds an earring in her locker that was supposedly buried with Alli. What’s next? Will Spencer find Alli’s eyeball in her cup of tea? I’m not looking forward to that one. Read more…
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS IS BACK! PRETTY LITTLE LIARS IS BACK! PRETTY LITTLE LIARS IS BACK! And I could not be any happier! Finally all my sought out questions will be answered. All my waiting will be rewarded. Or so I thought.
As I put on my ‘I love Mr. Fitz’ crop top and awaited the return of my favorite show; I couldn’t help but feel that by the end of the episode I was left with more questions then answers.
Here are five things I learned on last night’s premiere, “I Play With Body Parts.”
1) ‘A’ is back: Game on bitches, just when you thought the girls were safe, the A Team strikes again. First, ‘A’ tries to frame the girls by making it look like they were the ones who stole Allison’s body. Then ‘A’ traps Aria in one of her school’s bathroom stalls just so he/she/they can torture her. Looks like Mona isn’t the only mastermind behind Allison’s death. This just leaves me with one question: who can A be? I hope I don’t have to wait until this season finale to find out because I just might feel ripped off.
2) Emily helped dig up Allison’s body: Read more…
Tonight’s the premiere of Pretty Little Liars, season three. FINALLY. The date has been marked on my very own Pretty Little Liars calendar since the end of season two. So to all my friends, if you continuously bug me tonight, be prepared to die because I’m obvs be sitting on the couch, wearing my I love Mr. Fitz crop top and watching the PLL marathon on ABC.
Yes, I know I have fangirl problems to the extreme but really who can blame me? Two words: Ian Harding. Here, I will give you a second to look him up… See told you he is HOT!
Ian isn’t the only reason why you should watch the premiere of PLL. Here are five more:
1) A new “A”
According to ABC Family we’ll be introduced to a new ‘A, who will use Aria’s past mistakes to taunt her. I’m a little excited to see what ‘A’ has in store for Aria especially after watching the season three promo, which shows Aria, trapped in a bathroom stall screaming for her life. My one concern is that Ezra will be caught up in this mess and I CANNOT have anything happen to him. My fangirl heart could not take that!
2) Ali’s grave is robbed? Read more…
I know fashion is all about taking the risks but sometimes I can’t help but wonder if certain celebrities own mirrors. Then again, it’s Hollywood, home of the crazies for the crazies! I’m all for strange fashions but some celebrity trends can be a bit scary (pointy black nails) or a little flashy (mirrored-cars). I guess it’s my job to keep you all in check and show you the top five worrisome trends in Hollywood. Proceed with caution.
1) Pointy black nails
Who: Rihanna, Lady Gaga
This beauty trend reminds me of The Wicked Witch of the West. Rihanna sported these black nails at the MET Gala on May 7 while wearing a Tom Ford black crocodile like skin dress. At least they can double as self defence weapons right?
2) Reflective cars
Who: Justin Bieber, Scott Disick
Like celebrities need to draw more attention to themselves when they go out. Right? Recently, stars like Justin Bieber and Scott Disick have decided to wrap their already expensive cars with chrome. Justin turned his Audi R8 into a mirror on wheels while Kim Kardashian tweeted from her sister’s baby daddies car “Who needs a mirror when I’m driving @scottdisick’s car!?!” You just know it’s a great trend when the Kardashians are also following it (did you get my sarcasm?).
3) Unbuttoned jeans Read more…
With the success of movies such as My Week With Marilyn, it is no surprise that biopic rumours are spreading fast in Hollywood. But which ones are true and which ones are false? It’s time to play my favorite game Fact or Fiction!
1) Harry Styles to star in a flick about Mick Jagger?
Though Harry’s publicist hasn’t confirmed whether he’ll be staring in this flick it has been confirmed that a film about Mick Jagger is in the works. It’ll be called Exile On Main St. in honour of the Rolling stones’ tenth album. The movie will revolve around the Rolling Stones’ frontman and guitarist Keith Richards and will be produced by Richard Branson.
2) Taylor Swift stars in a movie about Joni Mitchell?
The rumours are true! Taylor Swift has been in talks with Sony for months but still hasn’t been officially ask to play the role. I guess only time will tell. The movie will be based on Sheila Weller’s book Girls Like Us, a biography of Joni Mitchell, Carole King and Carly Simon. The crew will consist of Katie Jacobs’s (director), John Sayles (scriptwriter) and and Lorenzo di Bonaventura (producer). Along with Taylor, Alison Pill auditioned to play King. Though the Sony pic hasn’t received the green light yet, it’s set to start production later this year.
3) Zooey Deschanel as Loretta Lynn?
This is a fact! However, it’s not a movie. Zooey Deschanel will be playing Loretta Lynn in a new musical stage show based on the country star’s life story. The 80-year-old singer has been working on a Broadway show based on her 1976 autobiography Coal Miner’s Daughter for a while now. Lynn specifically chose Deschanel as the star and her warm feelings are mutual as Deschanel called Lynn her hero.
4) Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix? Read more…
Summer. [Insert a relaxing sigh here] The more I say it the more excited I get. Now that the weather is FINALLY bearable and the beaches are officially opened, it’s time to brainstorm summer date ideas… inspired by who else? Some of our favourite celebs.
1) Bike Date
Miley Cyrus and hunky boyfriend Liam Hemsworth pedalled to a nearby 7-11 convenience store to get a Slurpee in Toluca, California. They’re the ultimate couple for cute date ideas. In the past they’ve gone jet-skiing and got fresh Dirty Dancing-style. Miley also punk’d Liam, though we only advise that if you both have a good sense of humour.
2) Outdoor Movie
Justin Bieber rented out an ENTIRE movie theatre for a date with Selena Gomez. Okay, so this probs isn’t going to happen. For one thing, you’re not Justin Bieber. Also, you’re not Justin Bieber. Anyway, the musician rented out the Staples Center so he and Selena could watch Titanic in privacy. Apparently he didn’t even have to pay! We’re not expecting you to top this because it’s oodles of moolah, but a simple drive-in movie is be a cute date idea. If you don’t have a car, that’s okay. Set up a blanket on the grass and enjoy the movie in each other’s arms.
3) Outdoor Music Festival Read more…
I remember my prom, the big expensive dress I made my parents buy but only wore once, the stretch limo and our dates struggling to fit our dresses inside. That memory still makes me laugh.
But after the clock hit midnight, the dress, the shoes and the corsage were stored in the back of my closest. Other than pictures, the only reminder I have now is when the songs I heard at prom come back on the radio.
Okay… so cheesy introduction… I know. But it needs to be said, it’s prom right?
If you’re wondering what should be on your prom playlist this year, here are some suggestions. Of course we have the classics, like Vitamin C, mixed with some newer hits like Calvin Harris.
Vitamin C — Graduation
As sappy as this song is, no prom would be complete without it playing at the end of the night. The memory of this song playing at prom will stay with you for life. So do me a favor. When this song plays at your prom, grab your bestie and relive your high school memories together.
Jay Z and Kanye – Young Forever
I originally considering including Alphaville’s “Forever Young” but then thought, hey why not give it a new spin with “Young Forever?” Even if you didn’t love high school, prom is one of those landmarks that indicate you’re growing up.
Green Day — Good Riddance (Time of your life) Read more…
When I graduated from high school, promposals were not like the movies. We didn’t expect our dates to be some Ryan Gosling doppelganger who surprised you at your locker with a dozen roses and a note attached asking you to prom. Instead, a typical ‘promposal’ happened via text or Facebook (gotta love modern technology right?) and usually didn’t involve showmanship.
This year, old fashioned promposals are huge. Luckily for us, the results are often uploaded to YouTube, though we admit this puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on guys and girls to come up with something original. Sometimes simple is better people!
Still, if you want to make a lasting impression on your special someone, here are some promposals that will guarantee you a date.
1) For the film buff
This proposal is by far my fave! The guy made a video of himself putting together his promposal for his crush to watch. At the end of the docu-style promposal, he walks to the house and then the video cuts out. Meanwhile, the guy was waiting outside the whole time with a sign that said “Prom?” Talk about surprises! If only my promposal was like this then maybe I would have said yes. But that’s another story.
2) For the intellectual
This guy would have taken the cake for best promposal of life, if it weren’t for the teeniest fact that he asked his teacher! Yep, you heard me right… his teacher! If this was a serious promposal I would have died of jealousy. Not only did this guy recite a sappy monologue but he also put on a whole show! He prepared an introduction video, revealed posters during certain parts of his monologue to outline his points, and best of all he got down on one knee with flowers to ask his favorite
girl teacher out! Do you see why I would have been insanely jealous?!
3) For the gleek Read more…
Sometimes I wonder if celebrities know that they don’t HAVE to keep the dramatics up 24/7. They do know they can stop putting on a show once the camera stopped rolling, right?
Let’s just say these celebrities know how to entertain me both on and off camera!
1) Mel Gibson
Cheesy joke time: here’s one star that puts the “mel” in melt down… The once ever so loveable hero of Lethal Weapon isn’t so loveable anymore. On a trip to Costa Rica last December, Gibson was recorded yelling at screenwriter Joe Eszterhaus. The recording starts off with Gibson yelling “Why don’t I have a first draft of “The Maccabees?” What the f**k have you been doing?” and then ends with Gibson yelling “Who wants to eat? Who the f**k wants to eat? Go have something to eat. Hurraaayyyyy!” Can you say bipolar much? Really Gibson, I remember when I was three years old and still used tantrums to get my way.
2) Chris Brown
Alright, Chris Brown doesn’t entertain me so much as he makes me gag. Not only does this star abuse woman but he now also abuses dressing rooms? Last year after he was interviewed about his relationship with Rihanna on the Today show, Chris took off his shirt stormed into his dressing room and trashed it; leaving shattered glass all over 43rd st and Broadway. You know what they say Chris if you can’t take the heat stay out of the kitchen. Read more…
Now that PLL is taking a break, I HAD to find a temporary replacement just to ease the pain. As I scrolled hopelessly through my TV guide in search of a new show, I landed on Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23. I thought to myself what the hell let’s try it!
Chloe is a New York party girl with “the morals of a pirate” who tries to bully her naive small town roommate June out of their shared apartment. James Van Der Beek is Chloe’s best friend who tries to keeps the peace between the two girls.
Now that you’ve got the gist of the show, here are five things I learned and five reasons why you should watch:
1) It’s already been targeted by the Parents’ Television Council for its racy humour. PTC asked sponsors of the show to stop running their ads calling it a “new all-time low for broadcast television.” You know if PTC doesn’t like it then it must be good! Usually sexual humor on sitcoms turn out lame but this show is pretty X-rated. Chloe has sex with her roommates fiance on top of her — wait for it — birthday cake. Shudder.
2) Van Der Beek *Insert girly scream here* plays a fictional version of himself. In the first episode alone he makes at least six Dawson’s Creek jokes, including mocking the show’s theme song. Win. Read more…
Don’t I look fed up, listening to my fave songs over and over again? Not that I don’t love them, but a girl has to get her fill of new songs once in a while. Occasionally a new track will come out to tease me but I need the whole album to satiate me!
Bluntly put, I have an addiction to these artists and I need another album hit. They should really have a support group for these types things, don’t you think?
Here are the upcoming albums that I’m most excited about:
1) Taylor Swift
A new album is said to be in the works, but I still can’t help but shout HURRY UP! You can’t blame me for being impatient because this album is rumoured to be a good one! Taylor even told Vogue that her new album would be about “an earth shattering, not so recent, but absolute crash-and-burn heartbreak.”
Taylor can this album possibly be about your painful break up with Jake Gyllenhaal? I can’t wait to hear the juicy details in the form of lyrics. It’s going to be a good one! And even though her track list is not released yet Taylor said she recorded 25 new songs! If Safe & Sound and Eyes Open are any indication how this album will sound, then I can not wait any longer!
Finally Kesha is back! I know you guys secretly all missed her as much as I did. With a record rumored to be releasing in May, I can only imagine what new adventures this sleazy Diva has gotten herself into. I mean she just finished recording a collaboration with Wayne Coyne about doing acid. I know one thing’s for sure, everyone’s excited and already asking, can it be May yet?
3) Katy Perry
What’s the best way to cure heartbreak? Answer: an awesome album burning the guy who did you wrong! According to Katy her new “music is about to get real f**king dark. You’d never see my face because my hair would be in it.” I love it already! With Russell’s new tell all book and Katy’s new album can this be the start of a feud? I guess we will just have to wait and see! One things for sure everyone have your popcorn ready!
4) Adele Read more…
My friends usually find me at the nearest theatre on warm summer nights, sitting in the middle seat of the middle row, with the tallest cup of Diet Pepsi on my right and a huge jug of extra buttered popcorn on my left. It’s very technical you see.
Honestly, I’m probably the biggest movie junkie out there. I love all things Hollywood: the atmosphere, the costumes, the lights, the glitz and the glamour. I proudly incorporate movie references in every day conversations. Yes, I am that girl.
In honour of my movie nerdieness, I’ve put together five movies I’m looking forward to this summer.
1) The guilty pleasure: LOL
Not only does it star Miley Cyrus but it has a relatable storyline. The movie follows a young girl as she falls in love for the first time and begins to discover herself. Don’t look at me like that! I know it sounds sappy, but I predict it’ll be one of those guilty pleasure chick flicks. Just watch the trailer and trust me.
2) The superhero movie: The Avengers
Marvel released a brand new kick ass clip of The Avengers today and Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow channels Drew Barrymore in Charlie’s Angels when she destroys a gang with her hands tied behind a chair. Win. Read more…
When I was in grade two my parents couldn’t separate me from my Nick Carter T- shirts and Backstreet Boys CDs. If you walked into my room, you’d see posters of
my love Nick plastered all over my bedroom walls. I even convinced my young and delusional self that when I became of age I would be known to the world as Mrs. Carter, even if it took excessive stalking coupled with voodoo magic.
Now, even though I’m older and slightly more mature I can’t stop my old symptoms from returning when I see boy bands like The Wanted, One Direction and Big Time Rush. Girls everywhere have an undying thirst for these smooth talking, ballad-singing, handsome guys. And I’m okay with that. Here’s why:
1) It’s been too long since I’ve relished in an upbeat, though formulaic, pop song. Ever since boy bands of yore bowed gracefully off the music scene, the radio has been filled with auto-tuned dance music. While I enjoy breaking it down every once in awhile, I miss those cheesy songs that make a girl feel… well, special. The songs that make you picture Justin Timberlake holding your hand and serenading you in front of all your friends. [Tugs on collar] Or am I the only one who imagines that? Anyone?
2) Have you seen One Direction’s Harry Styles? Harry you may call me if you’re reading this. With this new wave of boy bands you can crush on any of them guilt free. Members of old boy bands aren’t exactly boys anymore! The main reason we outgrew them isn’t just because they’re old; because trust me I do have a thing for older guys. Our favorite members are now married and have children, so it’s kind of hard to crush on them when you know their wives are waiting by the stage exit.
3) I’ll gladly indulge in a little more fandom. For those of you who were too young to see the Backstreet Boy’s first concert, to know Justin Timberlake pre-movies and solo career, or to know that the first real boy band was not the Jonas Brothers, then I will tell you: you will always have a favourite boy band and compete with fans of other boy bands. I for one am still head over heels obsessed with the Backstreet Boys and I may have cried a little when I saw them last summer at their reunion concert. But they were tears of joy.
The Wanted “Glad You Came”
4) The Wanted’s single “Glad You Came” is perfect for a day at the beach with your closest friends. My favourite memory will always be me and my friends rocking out to pop songs while reading the latest J14 issue. Boy bands create a soundtrack for your youth, whether you realize it or not.
5) Boy bands just overall make me feel happy “You don’t know you’re beautiful. That’s what makes you beautiful” I mean what girl wouldn’t feel instantly happy when they hear that on the radio?
One Direction “What Makes You Beautiful”