Nine years is a long time to commit to a group of strangers but that’s what millions of fans have done for the hit television show How I Met Your Mother. And while its stars Neil Patrick Harris, Cobie Smulders, Jason Segel, Josh Radnor and Alyson Hannigan may just be actors, they have become like family to fans watching around the world.
After nine seasons and more than 200 episodes, their legend-wait for it-dary road finally comes to an end tonight. To honour HIMYM‘s long run on television, we’ve gathered a list of nine lessons the sitcom has taught us.
1. We can’t be perfect but we can love wholeheartedly
“Here’s the secret, kids: none of us can vow to be perfect. In the end, all we can do is promise to love each other with everything we’ve got, because love is the best thing we do.”
2. Slap bets are the best way to uncover secrets
Maybe not the best way if you lose the bet.
3. High-fives are multipurpose
A high-five for any occasion.
4. Don’t let the ones you love get away
“You will be shocked, kids, when you’ll discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why when you find someone you wanna keep around, you do something about it.”
5. Food is the greatest thing (bacon, pizza, you name it)
6. “500 Miles” should always be playing in the car
It’s the perfect road trip song. Let loose and make sure to sing this Proclaimers song at the top of your lungs.
7. Figuring out “what’s next” is a difficult and crucial part of life
“Kids, sometimes you realize the journey you’ve been taking has reached its final stop. So the question becomes : Where do you go next?”
8. Hanging out with your best friends is the best kind of medicine
Whether in a club, café or dancing in the street, the truest kind of love is friendship.
Because we’ve waited nine years to find out who the mother is.