This year’s Golden Globes aren’t just about celebrating film and television’s most talented people; it’s now about celebrating the flawlessness of its hosts, comedian Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.
After first meeting one each other at an Improv class in Chicago 20 years ago, these women blossomed and became two of the world’s most sought after comedians. Amazingly enough, they did it together. They co-anchored Saturday Night Live‘s Weekend Update desk together, headlined NBC’s comedy Thursdays together with Parks and Recreations (Poehler) and 30 Rock (Fey), and co-starred in the teen cult comedy classic, Mean Girls (which Fey penned).
In honour of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the Golden Globes this Sunday we thought we’d round-up 10 reasons why we love these two women.
1. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler fangirl just the same as everyone else.
They’re just funnier about it. Not to mention, they also got it right: George Clooney only gets better with age.
2. You’ve got to admire someone who can turn any question into an answer about food.
Fries or candy, anyone?
3. Who says you need to be all dressed up in front of cameras to inspire the masses? Amy Poehler inspires girls everywhere right from her room.
Poehler doles out some of the best advice ever through her YouTube series, “Ask Amy.”
4. Equally inspiring is Tina Fey’s passion for politics and current issues.
Take for example her impassioned speech at the inaugural gala for the Center for Reproductive Rights. Fey calls it like it is and criticized old “grey-faced” men about their abilities to determine what constitutes rape.
5. But this wouldn’t be a proper piece without one of the funniest award show moments.
Just when you thought everyone would have been sick of twerking thanks to Miley Cyrus, they went right a head and told Neil Patrick Harris to twerk at the Emmys just weeks later. Only they could make a joke about twerking without everyone rolling their eyes on reflex.
6. They raised $72,000 in support of austism schools, programs and services across America.
All they had to do was put up their friendship for sale.
7. Baby Mama was a testament to their friendship
It was an underrated comedy.
8. They’re really good at making jokes about Hollywood
9. They managed to bring two polar opposite politicians together under one roof
Okay, Amy Poehler was Hilary Clinton and Tina Fey was Sarah Palin in this Saturday Night Live skit but that counts, right?
10. Because they were in Mean Girls
Will you be watching the Golden Globes tonight? If so, follow us on Twitter at @ANDPOP as we’ll be live-tweeting this drunken shindig.