Victoria Abraham defines one up and coming artist each week so you can impress your friends with your musical brilliance. This week, she tackles denitia and sene, an electro soul duo from Brooklyn.
While I get to profile a lot of great artists in this column, it’s not always that I am this excited about a particular talent. denitia and sene are amazing. Their sound is beautiful, unique and so easy to vibe with. Their music is so transcendent that it’s unnecessary to confine them with a genre. Suffice it to say that denitia and sene make the kind of music you want as your daily soundtrack.
Origins: Brooklyn, NY
Band members: Denitia and Sene
Known for: They are known for their seamless blend of R&B, pop and electronic music.
Used in a sentence: Smooth basslines and synth-laden blues make this duo’s music irresistible.
File next to: AlunaGeorge, Alt-J
Download now: “Feel Better”
Five fun facts:
1. They met at a party in Brooklyn in an old Victorian house known as “The Clubhouse.”
2. They are inspired by Sade, The Fugees, and Nash and Young.
3. They like to think of their music as “film noir for audiophiles” which means it’s chic, sexy and alluring.
4. Before their fortunate union, Denitia was a singer/songwriter and Sene was a rapper.
5. They’ve only been working together for one year.
2012 They released their first EP Blah Blah Blah.
2013 The twosome released a video for their song “Casanova.”
2013 They released their debut album his and hers.
This duo is so new there are no lyrics up for their music yet, and I don’t want to butcher them.