Victoria Abraham defines one up and coming artist each week so you can impress your friends with your musical brilliance. This week, she tackles Iggy Azalea, an Australian rapper.
Iggy Azalea from Sydney, Australia (see what I did there) is the first female and non-American rapper to be featured on XXL’s annual Top 10 Freshman cover issue, and for good reason. She is not afraid to rap dirty while still looking pretty, and there is always something refreshing about a girl who bravely takes on a male dominated genre, and isn’t afraid to look like a girl while doing it. Stay tuned for her debut studio album The New Classic which is set to drop in 2013.
Origins: Sydney, Australia
Full name: Amethyst Amelia Kelly
Known for: Iggy Azalea is known for her no nonsense raps, her platinum blonde hair and tough girl attitude
Used in a sentence: From her first mixtape to her debut album, Iggy’s dedicated to bringing something new to hip hop
File next to: Azealia Banks, Missy Eliott, Angel Haze,
Download now: “Work”
Five fun facts:
1. She came to America by herself when she was 16 after telling her parents she was going on holiday with a friend. Later on she told them she wasn’t coming home
2. She was announced as the new face of Levi Jeans in late 2012. She is also signed with Wilhelmina Models
3. Although Iggy has an Australian accent when she speaks, she raps with a somewhat Southern drawl
4. Iggy was the opening act for Rita Ora’s Radioactive tour in the UK
5. Tupac Shakur’s “Baby Don’t Cry (Keep Ya Head Up II)” led to Iggy’s infatuation with rap at age 11.
2011 Iggy first gained popularity when her music videos “Pu$$y” and “Two Times” went viral on YouTube
2011 Iggy released a mixtape titled Ignorant Act
2012 She released a free EP titled Glory
2012 Iggy released her second mixtape TrapGold
This song seems more than a little autobiographical.
Walk a mile in these Louboutins/But they don’t wear these shits where I’m from/I’m not hatin, I’m just telling you/I’m tryna let you know what the fuck I’ve been through/Two feet in the red dirt, school skirt/Sugar cane, back lanes/three jobs, took years to save/But I got a ticket on that plane/People got a lot to say/But don’t know shit bout where I was made/Or how many floors that I had to scrub/Just to make it past where I am from