By Jack Siebel, campus ambassador
A flying roller coaster with no track and exploding barrels… that’s basically what my first semester of college felt like. Although that might sound like it comes with bad connotations, it was one of the most open, creative and fun experiences I’ve ever had and it will forever hold a spot in my memory.
My classes, while challenging, helped me realize what I want in life and what I need to get there. My social life had depth and excitement and usually way too many activities for me to sleep. Your next semester will be vital; if not for delving into your major and social life, then for helping you realize where you really need to be.
Here are some ways to turn your college experience around this semester:
1. Do unto your roommate as you would have them do unto you. Remember, you sleep mere feet from them.
2. Do stupid things! I’m not endorsing crime or anything, but staying u playing video games the night of a test, or eating eleven of the cafeteria burgers that don’t really taste like meat? Those are the stupid things college kids do! So go out enjoy your stupidity while the repercussions are small.
3. Don’t be afraid to second guess yourself. If you don’t know exactly where you want to be or what you want to do, relax! More than half of the world is on the same page and no matter what you choose, it’s worth some time and thought.
4. If you’re not satisfied with your campus, think about transferring! If you find out cats make you pee yourself, then Hawaii is the wrong place to be!
5. Set up a system! Always have a system that alerts your roommate if you have a “guest” over and vice versa. That awkward moment where you someone’s genitals are burned in your mind every time you see them? That’s avoidable!
6. Find out how soon you have to choose a major and think about a gap year! I know way too many people who dropped out or transferred because they chose a major too fast and had to switch.
7. Considering doing an exchange to broaden your scope of the world. London anyone?
8. Be social! Everyone you see is looking for a friend just as much as you are; a friendly wave or ice breaker can create a bond that lasts for decades.
9. Cleaning supplies. Turns out mothers don’t secretly pick up all your dirt when you don’t live with them.
10. Take later classes if you can. You may think you can get up at 8am because you do now, but ten shots of clearance tequila and a losing game of beer pong will change your mind.
11. Find some structure. Be it flag football, weekly beer pong, or a job at Hooters, structure and activity will help keep you srited and happy and can usually introduce you to new friends.
12. Think about possibility of home sickness! I know two different friends who were forced to transfer last semester because they missed home too much. It may not affect you as severely, but it can still cause some rainy days.
13. Don’t go somewhere just because it has a stigma. Yeah, Colorado is known for weed, it’s also known for two of the best public schools in the country. Go to a school for what you love, not what you hate.
14. Cherish sleep in high school. Soon, sleep will be as faint a memory as wearing diapers; and just like diapers, no sleep leaves you feeling shitty.
15. Enjoy yourself. College is one of the most fun and innovating periods of your life, go through it with a smile and you’ll come out with one too!