I’m writing this with great hesitation and mild disgust. A couple days ago my sister was telling me about some made for TV documentary about how the “new thing” college students are doing is BUTT CHUGGING.
According to Urban Dictionary, butt chugging is the act of ingesting alcohol through one’s rectum to increase the alcohol’s effect and the speed with which one becomes intoxicated. Used in a sentence: “Hello Jonathan! Would you care to attend my party? We will be Butt Chugging!”
I know. WTF. While I’m pretty much writing this entire post with as much withdrawal as possible, I figure it’s part of my job to bring you what’s happening on campus.
Here are five things you need to know:
1. The so-called “vessel” for butt chugging is either a funnel or a soaked tampon. The latter of those two things is called “slimming.”
2. Alcohol is absorbed through your bloodstream faster through your rectum than through your mouth. Aka, it’s not just for show! There’s apparently a point to it…
3. One benefit: you won’t get the smell of alcohol on your breath. Though personally I merely wonder: “have you heard of gum?”
4. It’s not a new term. Look:
5. It has been covered in pop culture and the media. Tons of news outlets have been investigating the disturbing trend and reporting on its consequences. Meanwhile, television series have been using beer-chugging as a serious storyline.
Law & Order