Victoria Abraham defines one up and coming artist each week so you can impress your friends with your musical brilliance. This week, she tackles Miguel, an R&B artist from Los Angeles.
Miguel’s music is more than a simple listening experience. You don’t just hear the song, you feel it, and his lyrics and melodies are evocative enough to change your mood. Plus, his full name rhymes, which is pretty cool. Miguel’s highly anticipated second album, Kaleidoscope Dream, is scheduled for release on Oct. 2.
Full name: Miguel Jontel Pimentel
Known for: Miguel is known for his happy combination of eletronic music, R&B, soul, rock, hip hop, and funk.
Used in a sentence: “Miguel’s songs make you feel like you’re swimming in a delicious chocolate fondue pool. Take that however you want.”
File next to: Usher, Prince
Download now: “Girls Like You”
Five fun facts:
1. Although he initially wanted to be a dancer like Michael Jackson, Miguel began pursuing music by age 13.
2. Miguel’s influences include Prince, David Bowie, Def Leopard, The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix.
3. He was featured on Wale’s single “Lotus Flower Bomb.”
4. Miguel plays the guitar and his new album features a lot of guitar sounds.
5. Miguel wishes he could have worked with James Brown, who he consideres the “last innovator for me when it comes to soul.”
2007: Miguel was signed to Jive Records.
2010: He released his debut album, “All I Want is You.”
2011: He was nominated for a Grammy for Best R&B Song “Finding My Way Back.”
2012: He released three free EPs, “Art Dealer Chic” Vol. 1,2, and 3. His second album, Kaleidoscope Dream is being released in three parts. The first EP was released on July 31, the second on Sept. 11, and the full album, containing the songs off both EPs and five additional songs will be out Oct. 2.
Notable lyrics: In “Girls Like You” Miguel explores the desire for a relationship.
Girls like you remind me that I’m lonely Yeaaah/Remind me that I’m lonely/No one to play Connect 4 with me/I Declare War with me/Knocked out and snore/ I’m rolling around in my bed/Someone, anyone to listen/I feel like I’m missing the real thing/Tell me where I go/Girl I got a few I can always call when I’m ready/But I feel like I’m wasting my time. Yeah