Wow, I’m glad Wikihow cleared this up for all those guys and girls who are hopeless in the hugging department. I never knew it was such a stressful endeavour but apparently the skill level is medium-difficult, earning it a how-to guide on Wikihow.
The step-by-step instructions are quite detailed so we’ve taken the liberty of taking the best excerpts.
Here are the five best tips about how to hug a girl:
1. “Approach with caution, but confidence… You should be sure the girl is prepared for a hug, at least as far as the relationship goes; she probably won’t appreciate one if you only barely know her.”
2. “It’s generally preferable to smile and say something like “How was your day?” or some other relatively unimportant small talk that doesn’t call for a long reply… hopefully. The reply can come as an advantage, as a bad day might warrant a hug.”
3. “The first few seconds of the hug should be just like any other hug: firm but gentle. Be careful to avoid placing your hands on inappropriate places of the girl’s body.”
4. “There are various things you can do to make your hug “more interesting”, but if performed under the wrong circumstances, they could easily make the girl feel a little uncomfortable… Hold her tighter and lift her up off her feet by leaning backwards. You could even then proceed to spin her by turning around halfway or all the way. This is a playful and fun hug, but be sure the girl is going to accept it.”
5. Tips: “Try to have good hygiene / You may want to whisper something in her ear while you’re hugging / If you must pat her back, make sure you don’t do it too hard. You don’t want to hurt her! However, some girls are uncomfortable with back-patting and are unlikely to hug you again any time soon.
NOTE: Those were just excerpts from a very lengthy and detailed article. If you want andPOP’s condensed and expert advice, here it is: open your arms wide and EMBRACE THE FREAKING GIRL. It’s really no more difficult than that plus we just saved you like 10 minutes of reading. If you’re still not convinced, here’s a video, you over-analytical non-romantics: