By Melissa Novacaska
Get out your polyester suits (gag) and dancing shoes, because last night’s episode of Glee was a throwback to the 70s. In an attempt to stick with
an outdated a “vintage” theme for Nationals, the Glee club experimented with music from the film Saturday Night Fever. My initial reaction resembled to three-quarters of the club… disco is DEAD, but it actually left me wanting to get up and dance!
After a fixed dance off, Finn, Mercedes and Santana were declared the winners and given the opportunity to compete in a sing-off to win a John Travolta inspired suit. However, it was actually more of an opportunity for Mr. Schuester and Sue to give these three talented students an opportunity to share their life ambitions. Let’s be honest, haven’t we all been wondering what their future holds — or at least Santana’s? The Glee Project’s Alex Newell, finally made his debut as Wade Adams, the Vocal Adrenaline diva with an alter ego name Unique. Who knew Mercedes had a twin?
After coming down with my own “Tuesday Night Fever,” here’s what I learned from last night’s episode “Saturday Night Glee-ver.” Hah, see what I did there?
1) Mercedes’ dream is to become the next Mariah, Whitney or Aretha, but she doesn’t know anything about transitioning to L.A. With Sam’s quick instincts and tender love, he records her sizzling rendition of “Burn Baby Burn,” posts it on YouTube and proves to her that she’s not skim milk, but the cream of the top. How cute, but it’s not like we did not know that already! Duh.
2) While Sam used YouTube for the power of good, Brittany’s intentions were a little muddled. If a sex tape won’t make you famous then I don’t know what will. After Santana states her main goal in life is to become famous one way or another (well that’s not a surprise), Brittany posts a “sex tape” of the two lovebirds. I know the poor girl means well, and Santana DID get attention, but I don’t think that’s the type of fame she wants… not that she specified any!
3) Well, well Finn finally made his decision about his future and (drumroll) he’s staying in Lima! Jk, jk! After a long battle with Schuester about wanting to always feel “young and free,” the teacher forced him to watch “Saturday Night Fever.” Finn realizes his true passion really does exist in NYC with Rachel, as an actor. Not afraid to admit the truth anymore, he applies to the Actor’s Studio Drama School run by James Lipton. I’m actually happy for these two; it makes me want to find someone as risk taking and considerate as Finn!
4) Vocal Adrenaline has some new talent in the form of a drag queen. After Wade Adams expresses his alter ego to Mercedes and Kurt, the two along with Sue give him the okay to become Unique during a glee competition in a backfired attempt to ruin Vocal Adrenaline. Even to the dismay of Jesse St. James (unfortunately he’s back), Unique polishes her pipes and wows the crowd with what she was born to do. Anybody thinking Mercedes may have some competition during Nationals?
5) The staff at McKinley High really do have hearts and want what’s best for their students. Schuester constantly questioned Finn, Mercedes and Santana’s plans for the future and along with Emma and Rachel, he really got through to Finn. Sue and Brittany (who would have thought) got Santana into the University of Louisville on a full Cheerleading scholarship. Man I wish my high school teachers would have done the same for me!