It’s been 30 days into the New Year, which means 30 days full of things to rave and rant about in pop culture. Here’s the month’s best and the worst in entertainment, music, celebrities and all things mainstream.
5) Amy Winehouse Gets Robbed: No, I am not referring to her marriage. I am talking about her apartment in London. According to eonline.com, thieves stole roughly $21, 000 worth of property, including pricy recording equipment, a flat-screen TV and five supposedly irreplaceable guitars. And they didn’t steal any drugs? They couldn’t have possibly missed it. Hmm, this story sounds kind of sketchy.
4) James Morrison: His amazing singles “You Give Me Something” and “Wonderful World” are only glimpses into this man’s talent. Last week, he earned a nomination for Best Male Solo Artist at the Brit Awards. His newest single “Broken Strings” with Nelly Furtado has reached No 2 on the U.K. singles chart. His voice is sexy. His lyrics are beautiful and brilliant. Sure he may look like Coldplay’s Chris Martin but his raspy voice serenades women AND men. I think I’m in love. Don’t tell my boyfriend.
3) Heath Ledger Oscar Nod: It was a bittersweet day. One year exactly after Heath died, Oscar noms were announced. Heath received a Best Supporting Actor nod for his outstanding performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight. He already won the Golden Globe and SAG award. He clearly deserves this one too.
2) George Clooney in Scrubs: How can you not love a guy—who after all his fame and fortune—returns to the show that gave him his break? Clooney was recently snapped in full scrubs, confirming rumours he will reprise his role as Dr. Doug Ross on the final season of ER. Can we McYummy?
1) Barack Obama’s Inauguration: George W. Bush who? I wish it was that easy to forget him but with the mess he’s made while in office, poor Obama will need more than just a mop to clean it up.
5) Ali Lohan’s “Extraordinary” Photo shoot: The barely-more-talented-younger-sis-to-Lindsay-Lohan is somehow featured in…get this…hold laughter…Jonathan Ressler’s “Extraordinary Women Exhibit.” Nothing about this makes sense. Firstly, baby Lohan is only 15-years-old. She’s just a girl. Not yet a woman. Secondly, EXTRAORDINARY? Really? Seriously? This is some cruel joke. What is so astonishing about a 15-year-old girl who lives in the shadows of her much-more famous sister? Just ask Ashlee Simpson back in the day.
4) Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar snub: Of course. Although DiCaprio has been nominated before, he has never won. I already blogged about this—I know—but why the Academy chose to overlook his performance in Revolutionary Road baffles me. Perhaps he should’ve started in a movie about the Holocaust.
3) American Idol: Although this show still manages to get viewers, the producers decided to add yet another judge to the already annoying panel. Is this move supposed to make the incoherent Paula and foul-mouthed Simon somehow tolerable to watch? Shit ain’t working.
2) Paris Hilton’s “Britney looked cool with no hair” Quote: Usually I wouldn’t really defend Britney but I would also do anything to rant on Hilton. But I think Paris liked Brit bald because, for once, she actually looked better than someone. Really Paris? That’s low. That’s so NOT hot.
1) Jessica Simpson’s Fuller Figure: So media goes haywire when they notice Jessica put on some pounds at a recent concert. So the gal can no longer fit in her daisy dukes—she’s still skinner than 98 per cent of Americans! Since when are size two women on the verge of obesity? Let the girl eat.
Want to make a comment? Have something you want me to Rant ‘N Rave about? Send your e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org