Laptop cases aren’t hard to find. They’re pretty much everywhere but they’re also pretty basic.
Most cases open from the top. You put your laptop in and hopefully there’s some extra room for a notebook or a pencil.
I recently received a TekMod and Omni laptop case from Tekstyl, makers of some of the coolest laptop bags around. The TekMod is one of the most unique laptop cases I’ve come across.
What’s so cool about it? Well the TekMod has two ways of functioning. While that may not sound very special, that also means there’s two ways you can access your bag, depending on your needs.
The first is the usual top-loading formation. Like any other bag, a flap opens up, which is secured by Velcro. This flap reveals the normal top-loading laptop bag formation that most people are used to seeing. This is helpful when merely transporting your laptop from point A to point B. What makes this laptop case better than the rest is its other, much more useful way of storage. When the zipper is unzipped around the perimeter of the case, the TekMod opens up much like a suitcase or a briefcase. With this cool alternative, you can store your laptop in the TekMod so that it can actually be used in the case. This is great for school, on a plane or pretty much anywhere you actually want to use your laptop as the TekMods sturdy case offers great protection.
The TekMod is made out of waterproof nylon and weighs just 1.13kg (the XL version). The XL (15-17 inch) TekMod comes in seven different colour patterns while the Medium (12-15 inch) model comes in four.
What I Liked:
- The TekMod is cool, the colour patterns are nice (though we reviewed a straight black version) and the design is really nice.
- The TekMod is small and fits a notebook nicely.
- The pocket on the main flap is great for holding your laptops charger, some pens and pencils and even some other paraphernalia and the other pocket is great for a small notebook or some papers.
- Using the laptop in the case works wonderfully and is really convenient. It’s great for those times when you don’t feel like taking your laptop out of your bag and then you realize you don’t have to.
- The Omni is really convenient for those with super slim laptops or those who want to use it in another bag such as a backpack.
What I didn’t like:
- With one arm band the bag becomes uncomfortable after a while. (If your going to be carrying your laptop all day your better off with a backpack. In that case, just pick up Tekstyl’s “Omni” slip case, which works in the same great way as the Tekmod, but is slimmer and fits nicely in a backpack)
What I want to see in future versions of the TekMod:
- Either an iPod or cellphone compartment would be a nice add on in future models
- Some more pocket space on the Omni
These are great cases and it’s hard to find anything bad about them. They’re great to use just as a normal top-loading laptop case but even better with their “operate in-case” feature. With access to all your computer’s ports, and a keyboarding riser stand that is easy to use, this is the laptop case of the future. Cool designs and a well built case means we definitely recommend this case for anyone looking for a cool, functional and convenient laptop case.
We have great news for all andPOP users. Tekmod has been kind enough to extend a special, limited time discount offer to all andPOP users. Just use the discount code “andpop” during your purchase for a 15% discount.
We would also like to inform our Canadian readers that Tekstyl offers great shipping rates throughout Canada. For more information please visit www.tekstyl.com
Tekstyl laptop cases may also be purchased online at www.RadTech.us.